Friday, August 22, 2008

When's your breaking point?

No matter what you're interested in or what you participate in, generally, as upperclassmen of high school, you're probably, relatively, pretty good at it. What I mean by that is, I've been playing soccer since I was like 4. Most of the team has been. Take Molly, for example. She's been running for years. She's a pretty bad-ass sax player, because it's what she's done forever. Etc, Etc.

I have just about completed the first week of soccer pre-season, which was possibly the most grueling week of Varsity Boys Soccer Leroy has ever had. (1) As hard as it's been though, I'm not feeling tired. In fact, quite the contrary. I'm in one of those moods right now where you feel so motivated you could run a marathon. In other words, I'm in the zone. (2)

As good of players we all are though, as motivated, I know the incredible feeling won't last. At some point this season, the feeling of invincibility will wear off. So, it seems to me anyway, that the success of the season this year won't be determined so much by how good we are, but more by how long we can keep up our hard work and determination.

It's somewhat of a curse. It's a well known problem for sports teams of all levels. Mid-way through a season, players begin to, "hit the wall." Mr. Meholick in marching band calls it the September Slump. After band camp, we go a few weeks of bad rehearsals with poor discipline. In any activity, it may be a loss of energy, focus, discipline, or determination, but whatever the cause, it puts a negative effect on any season. When thinking about this season, in both marching band and soccer, the only question in my mind is, "how fast can we push through that drought? How quickly can we rebound from it?"

So, how can we prevent it from ruining an otherwise awesome season? First, I think everyone participating should be aware of it. Like a hurricane; how could you survive without knowing of the storm ahead of time and preparing for it? Awareness could go a long way to help get through the rough patch. I think Mehol has done an awesome job of letting us in on the big secret that we always have that slump. Now, those who care enough will make a conscious effort to keep rehearsals focused.

I think it's up to the coach of a team to keep players fresh and not bored all the time. Simply doing a different kind of warm up one day in practice could accomplish that goal. We should be kept on our toes. When practice is the same day after day, for two months straight, how could anyone keep their passion? From what I know of XC, Mr. L does a fantastic job of switching things up. I know for a fact that there are 3 different types of Cross Country practices. I am probably wrong, but I think it goes something like, hard, easy, LSD? I have no idea what LSD means... I'm pretty sure they aren't on drugs, however. The three kinds of practices are rotated throughout the entire season in a 3-day cycle. Not only is the plan formulated to allow muscles to recover for optimum use, the cycle means that his runners should get bored less easily.

That being said, it can't all be up to the coaches. At some point, we need to step up, suck it up, and get shit done. As previously stated in another blog, we all have a set level of what we can and can't do. (3) Similar to the way we can all push ourselves while running two miles, or three miles, to get a better time, I think that we can also push the limits of our "capacity." So, when we, as athletes, get tired and run down halfway through this season, we need to either push our limits, or something else needs to be cut, or turned down. In other words, no distractions. Girls, Drugs, Alcohol, and other unnecessary distractions need to get lost, so we can dedicate all the attention we can to what we need to.

At whatever cost, I want to keep up the passion this fall. It's the top priority at this point, even if that means that I might have to work like, six hours a week now instead of 30. (4) When we win sectionals this year, or have the most unforgettable performance in the Dome at the end of October, it will all be worth it. And we'll owe it all to the fact that we were able to get past our breaking point.

1. Whoever this "Cooper" fellow is that came up with his gay ass test, and named it after himself, can suck my balls!
2. "Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone!"
3. To understand the rest of this blog, it is suggested that you read, "The Recording Box of Life."
4. Yes, yes, it is possible for me to not be at work ALL the time.

No comments: