Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A Self-Centered Driven Life

(1) I began the day thinking, “I love summer.” (2) My eyes let in their first light of the morning around 11 AM. Initially I thought that I would be able to fall back asleep and waste away another few hours of the day. A failed attempt brought me to my morning ritual: FOX NEWS. After 40 minutes of taking in the headlines that would be repeated countless times and debated ruthlessly until the next daybreak and with it the next set of headlines (3), I, still in a lethargic trance, realised that the news meant next to nothing to me.

Saudi Arabia vowed to produce more oil if other countries needed it. (4) John McCain and Barack Obama were busy holding events focused on energy. Northern California is currently in a state of burning. In the Phillipines, a typhoon has caused a ferry to capsize. 843 passengers are still missing. 18 Gloucester girls made a pact to get pregnant and raise their children together. A high-speed chase on a Houston Highway that resembled a scene taken out of Grand Theft Auto 3 comes to a halt when the driver spins out and crashes into the divider. A “counterculture hero,” George Carlin passed away with heart failure.

So as these crazy headlines are discussed and poured over on my tv, all I think is, “Wow-it would suck to live in Northern California right now. Jesus-those 18 high school girls are sick. I bet it would’ve been fun to be behind the wheel of that wild goose-chase in Houston… Who the hell is George Carlin? Why’s he such a hero?” Point is, Until it directly concerns me, I don’t give a damn.

Hopefully, you people will share this feeling with me, at least to an extent. (5) Of course, everyone has a different level of this self-centeredness, but I doubt very much that when you heard of this news this morning you immediately thought to call Red Cross to donate some money to victims of the Typhoon in the Phillipino Archipelago. Thank god that the forest fires didn’t happen here in Upstate New York.

Isn’t it just a little depressing that that’s about as much as I’m going to think about most of these headlines? Before you judge me, how much do you care? Honestly? The sad thing is, I know that I’m not the only one that feels this way. Hell… most people in the country probably don’t even know about all of this breaking news yet.

So I’m sorry George. I’m sure you must’ve been quite the guy to be declared this “hero.” Good luck girls. I hope the kids all turn out ok and grow up to be best friends. Firefighters of California-stay strong. But with that, I’m going to go do something more focused on me. Because that’s just the type of self-centered bitch that I am.


1. Yes-this is a complete ripoff of the religious, highly acclaimed book, A Purpose Driven Life.
2. My summer vacation actually began a week ago, but with the astonishing 57 hour week of labor along with the 3 Regents I had to take in consecutive days, today was the first opportunity to sleep in.
3. Will the world ever cease to produce enough news to cover in a day? Will that ever happen?
4. When gas prices fall to a decent price, hopefully before six months from now when I get my license, I’ll care.
5. Or I might be ostracized from society for being such a dick…

No comments: