Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Busch Stadium, St. Louis

Me and my brother, as we love the same music, (1) began somewhat of a tradition a few years ago. Joe would continue to buy each and every DMB album ever produced, and I would start buying every new OAR album produced. This is a pretty good compromise for us. Even better for me, Joe hasn't had his mailing address changed since he moved out of the house like a year ago. I still get all of his mail daily, (2) and yesterday the newest DMB album came to my mail box.

The show is from St. Louis, and it's from this most recent summer tour that is just ending. (3) To make sure I appreciate the album in it's entirety, I've only listened to this album today. The moment I woke up this morning, I began listening to the concert from top to bottom, in that order. I've decided that it's a totally kick ass concert. One of the benefits of dedicating the entire day, though, to listening to this concert is the lyrics that jump out at me this time around for the first time.

"I've been high, and I've been down.
My head in the clouds and my hands in the ground.
In the arms of a woman, I found my way home.
In the arms of a woman, I had been lost.
When I'm so lost that this losing feels like dying
I hope you'll be by me then.
When I'm so lost that this losing feels like dying
I hope you'll be by me then.
Sick of you, and I'm sick of me.
I'm sick of wars, and I'm sick of peace.
I'm sick of sound until I'm sick of silence.
Sick of the darkness until I'm sick of the light.
So I will live as I see fit.
There will be those who will not like it.
But in the arms of a woman, I found my way home.
So to the arms of a woman, I will go."
-#27
I like these lyrics a lot. They do a good job showing the general restlessness within us all. As I've said before, we all have conflicting, changing thoughts and opinions. We have our ups and downs. Of course, it's a love song. I think it's awesome that in the midst of all of your problems and shitty moods, even during one of your low times, the woman you love can make you smile without even saying anything.
On a similar note:
"My heart calls to me in my sleep.
How can I turn to it?
'Cause I'm all locked up in this dark place-
And I do not know
I'm good as dead
My head aches-warped and tied up
I need to kill this pain.
Oh man oh how I wish I didn't smoke
Or drink to reason with my head.
But sometimes this thick confusion
Grows until I cannot bare it all.
Needle to the vain
Needle to the vein
Take this needle from my vein my friend."
-Rhyme and Reason
The point I stress is that when someone makes a decision to listen intently to DMB for an extended period of time, it's like opening a door to their heart, through which lyrics that you may not have noticed before come through and strike them so strong that they're forced to think about it. It's a pure guarantee... if you give Dave the chance to, he'll inspire you.
The most unique part of the St. Louis concert, however, is the few minutes that Dave talks to the crowd after #27.
"Thank you very much. This is an amazing place to play a show, I'll tell you what. Something about a baseball stadium feels like home. I don't know what it is, but ain't it funny? It's just got that thing to it. I was a little kid the first time I went to a baseball game. And uh, that was the first time I ever smelled weed. A couple guys in front of me were smoking a funny looking cigarette. It smelled a little funny... smelled pretty good to me, I was just a little kid I didn't know any better. I said to my friend, I said, What's that smell?! It's just reefer, it smells good don't it? I just, I got reminded of it because I just got a little wave, I can smell a little something right now. (4)
-Dave Matthews
Obviously, the crowd liked this!!
(5)
1. You know, since we're the same person.
2. Which is pretty annoying most of the time. It clutters my shelf.
3. Props to Torrence, who thoroughly kicked my own, Joe's, and Molly's ass in the Dave Setlist Game this year.
4. My pastor actually mentioned in this week's service that Dave Matthews Band concerts usually smell a little funny. The comment came after showing a video of the insanely erratic Robert Randolph Band, which frequently tours with DMB. What a great service, right? It was even better, because Joe was in attendance!
5. I just finished listening to the album. Literally perfect timing. An instant favorite, no doubt.

2 comments:

Molly Kate said...

My ass has never been so severely kicked as in that setlist game. It most likely never will again.

Jim Mignano said...

Be optimistic Mollz, there's always next year to lose even worse :)