A few short weeks ago, classes had been starting at school. With the new year beginning, there are often a lot of bull-shit things that we need to do to get ready for the year of school. For example, we read the rules and expectations of the class in every class on that first day. Guidelines on how things are graded in each class are gone over. And, in the case of AP English, taken by seniors and taught by Mr. Crow, covers for one's binder need to be made.
In my fourth period study hall that I spend with Molly 3 days of each week, she had been going through idea after idea for her cover. I don't know why it meant so much to her, but she put a lot of time into it nonetheless. At one point, she had collected lyrics from her favorite Pearl Jam songs and put them all onto a green sheet of paper, which would be the background of her cover. Even though I disagreed with her choice of Pearl Jam, I liked this idea. A few nights later, I managed to find myself with a few spare hours in which I was bored and sitting at home, and so I decided to make my own collection of lyrics. I, however, chose all Dave Matthews Band lyrics. For about an hour, I went through an entire list of Dave songs and chose my favorite lyrics from all of them.

After I had finally finished this grueling process, I ran into what some would call a slight problem. I disappointingly realized that I had absolutely no use for this amazing, personalized Dave Matthews lyrics document. What a dilemma! Although it wasn't exactly useful, I still found a silver lining in the situation, which is what I do best. I had just rediscovered every single powerful, emotional lyric that makes DMB what it is.
I now have a new answer for anyone that asks me why I like the band so much. I think that a "good" band is one that is able to put a certain theme or message into a song and still make it sound good enough for people to like it. As anyone would see after taking a few moments to glance at my collection of lyrics, DMB has songs of a very broad variety. From love to religion to the tendencies of society, they cover it all.
Dave Matthews is known as a singer, guitarist, or maybe a performer. However, I think psychiatrist could be added to the list. I feel like no matter what situation I ever have, I could go to Dave for some quality advice on the subject. Some solid time spent jamming to loud DMB music with no distractions clears my head, keeps me grounded, and automatically puts me in a good mood, no matter what. These are the reasons that I put Dave Matthews Band on a higher level than anything else in the world.
1 comment:
i would like to see this list....
Post a Comment