New Years is a very mysterious holiday to me. I'm not going to lie to you... I'm not a big fan of it. For starters, it's hardly a holiday. Let's look at all other major holidays.
- Christmas-The celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.
- Easter-The celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Thanksgiving-An opportunity to give thanks and express general gratitude.
What exactly is New Years, though? The celebration of a new year beginning? I admit, this is an important day and only comes around so often. This is the day on which the year repeats. However, this is only based on our calendar. Our system of time could be different. For example, a "year" could just as well be 100 "years" long, rather than one. My point is that although we restart our calendars and call it January again, nothing actually repeats. Nothing actually restarts. Our lives are a continuous timeline that will go on forever, and so it frustrates me that we have this holiday to celebrate the new year, because really, January 1st is just another day.
The other reason that I get frustrated with this holiday is the New Years Resolution. Have you made yours yet? For some reason, this change in the year motivates people to attempt to change their life in some drastic turnaround. There are hundreds of diets that begin on January first, but most of them are ended by the end of the month. Once the hype of the new year is gone, gone with it is the motivation that drives people to change. If someone really wants to change something about themselves, they should be able to pick a day, any day, to begin that change. I don't know why it has to begin on the new year. New Years Resolutions are stupid because it gives people false hope. Let's take fat people, for example. Fat people didn't set out in life attempting to gain as much weight as possible. As they gained weight, they knew that they were getting fat, and didn't stop it. Therefore, they had no motivation to prevent their rise in pounds all along. Why should the fact that it's January again plant that motivation in their mind? It doesn't, this is proved by the mass amount of aborted Resolution plans each year.
Don't get me wrong, I like a good party just as much as all the others, and I'll take any excuse I can in order to have that party. But to me, a reason to have large gatherings of people or drink excessive amounts of alcohol is all that New Years is.
No comments:
Post a Comment